No one wants to see their dog suffer from an upset stomach, which is why sensitive stomach dog food is such a popular option. If your dog has a sensitive stomach, you’ll want to look for a food that is low in fiber and easy on the digestive system. You may also want to choose a food that is specifically designed for dogs with sensitive stomachs.
How can I tell if my dog has a sensitive stomach?
Based on the symptoms of your dog, you should be able to tell if your dog has a sensitive stomach. If it is vomiting or having diarrhea more than once a day, then it is likely that they have a sensitive stomach. Your vet can take a stool sample and run tests to see what’s causing the issue.
If your dog doesn’t have an upset stomach but still doesn’t seem like themselves and isn’t eating or drinking like they usually do, then it could be that they are dehydrated. You should get them to drink lots of water and bring them to the vet as soon as possible if you notice any other changes in their behavior or symptoms.
What type of dog food is best for a sensitive stomach?
This is a question that many pet parents have. The answer to this is often dependent on your dog’s breed, age, lifestyle and dietary needs.
There are two different types of dog food that are best for dogs with sensitive stomachs – premium dry kibble or wet canned food. Here are some reasons why you may want to feed your dog one of these options:
- Dogs with sensitive stomachs will benefit from the low-allergen properties of premium dry kibble because it doesn’t contain any additives or preservatives.
- Wet canned food is a good choice for dogs with sensitive stomachs because it has high levels of protein and high moisture content which will keep their intestines moving smoothly.
It is important to find food with a high quality protein for dogs with sensitive stomachs. Some companies are using plants and vegetables as their main protein source.
Some types of dog food that are great for sensitive stomachs are:
- Protein sources from fish, beef, lamb or poultry
- Formulated with probiotics
- With digestive enzymes
Best Dog Food for Sensitive Stomach
Dogs don’t have the luxury of ordering off a menu like people do. They need to eat what they are given.
This is why it’s important to start looking at dog food brands and talk about their quality. There are ways for the consumer to make sure that they are getting good quality food for their pet that will not upset their sensitive stomachs. Below we have the list of the best dog food for a sensitive stomach.
1. Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Canine Treats
A dog’s stomach is very delicate, and if they do not have the right balance of food, it could cause a lot of discomfort and even lead to vomiting and diarrhea. Royal Canin GastroIntestinal Small Breed dog food has been created with smaller dogs in mind, and has a calorie-count tailored to their needs to provide a balanced diet.
- Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Treats for dogs are made with easy to digest ingredients and a low fat content
- Use as an occasional treat for your pup- not as a meal replacement
- Helps to support your dog’s gastrointestinal health
- It’s the flavor your dog loves, with a protein-rich formula that’s healthy for them.
- They’re easier on the stomach, and they come in a variety of flavors to satisfy any pup.
- They provide plenty of protein with zero fat, perfect for dogs who need to keep their weight under control.
- The cost is the main problem as it is a bit costly.
2. Wellness Simple Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Wellness Simple has a simple philosophy of providing the highest quality food with the best taste and price. That’s why their limited ingredient recipe is made up of just five wholesome ingredients: salmon, potatoes, peas, canola oil, and chicory root extract. Each one provides the right balance of essential nutrients to fuel your pup’s health and appetite for life.
- A convenient, affordable way to give your pet a healthy meal.
- All-natural ingredients with no preservatives ensure that all the essential nutrients are there.
- The formula is easy on the stomach, and contains nothing but high quality ingredients.
- Helps your dog’s digestive system and stops vomiting and diarrhea
- The taste that dogs love
- Contains quality, natural ingredients that are easy to digest
- Gently works on skin allergies
- The odor is strong.
- The price is a bit high.
3. Hill’s Science Diet Dry Adult Dog Food
Hill’s Science Diet Dry Adult dog food is all about quality, and ensuring that your pup is healthy. Made from natural ingredients, this diet has just the right amount of Vitamin E, Omega-6 Fatty Acids, and antioxidants to give your pup a healthy and long life.
- All natural, guilt-free, high-quality ingredients.
- Made in the USA for the best quality at the best price.
- Naturally sourced and safe to consume–no artificial colors, flavors or additives.
- Offers antioxidant benefits and Omega 6 Fatty Acids.
- Treat your dog to a tasty, flavor-packed meal. Keeps teeth clean and breath fresh.
- The kibble is made of natural ingredients that are easy to digest, so even sensitive stomachs can enjoy the dish.
- The small size of the kibble makes it perfect for little mouths.
- Contains chicken, which can be an allergen for some dogs
- Contributes to obesity and a variety of other conditions in canines.
4. Purina Pro Plan Focus Adult Dry Dog Food
Purina Pro Plan Focus Adult dog food is a complete and balanced food for adult cats with sensitive skin and stomachs. It features salmon as its primary protein source, first ingredient, prebiotic fiber, antioxidants and easily digestible carbohydrates. Omega fatty acids and vitamins help your kitty live a long happy life.
- Made with salmon as the first ingredient
- Pro Plan sources omega fatty acids and vitamins for balance
- Anti-inflammatory protein that has been clinically proven to help reduce itchy skin
- This food is made with quality ingredients, such as salmon, and has no artificial colors or flavors.
- Dogs love the taste of this food, so it’s easy to feed them.
- Dog owners are reporting improved skin, hair coats, and firmer poop from dogs that have been eating this brand.
- The world’s first and only natural herbal dog breath freshener.
- Made with all-natural ingredients, this product is safe for dogs of all sizes and ages.
- Gentle minty flavor that freshens breath while delivering a long lasting fresh scent to your pup’s pearly whites.
5. Purina ONE SmartBlend Natural Adult Dog Food
Purina ONE SmartBlend Cat& Kitten food is a smart choice. This salmon-based formula contains the goodness of whole food ingredients, like oatmeal and rice, with added vitamins, minerals, omega fatty acids, and antioxidants. Your pet will be healthier and happier with this complete diet.
- Dishing out omega fatty acids, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals to give them a healthy start in life
- The first ingredient is always salmon for the lean protein the dog needs
- Rice, oatmeal and other ingredients from whole foods to keep them content
- Customers report that their dog loves the flavor of the food.
- Quality, high-quality ingredients that are easy to digest and come in a variety of flavors.
- This food has many customers reporting that their pets’ stools became firmer and more regular after being fed this for a few months.
- Contain corn gluten meal that may be an allergen
- Has a fishy odor
6. Royal Canin Canine Gastrointestinal Low Fat Dry
Feed your dog the fuel they need to live a long, happy and healthy life with Royal Canin! Our Gastrointestinal Health formula is designed with easily-digested proteins to support your dog’s digestive health. It contains prebiotics to support your dog’s digestive health and come in a resealable bag for freshness. Put Royal Canin on your list of great products for your best friend.
- Easy to digest ingredients for your fussy pet.
- Made with real chicken meal as a primary protein source.
- Includes prebiotics for digestive health.
- Resealable package to keep the food fresher longer.
- Dairy-free, gluten-free, and organic
- Unique kibble shapes slow down fast eaters and provide dental benefits
- Sealable bag keeps food fresh and makes transporting a breeze
- Customers report firmer poops and better breath
- Contains ingredients that can be allergens for some dogs. If you have allergy-prone pets, this is not the food for them.
- Very low quality protein source with almost zero meat content. If you want to give your pet a diet that is high on animal protein and other nutrients, this is not what you’re looking for.
7. Canidae Grain-Free Pure Limited Ingredient Diet Dog
Canidae Grain-Free Pure dog food is the perfect food for your dog. Your dog deserves the best quality ingredients and that is what we provide. We use only whole foods and have no grains, fillers, or artificial preservatives. This formula has a complete nutritional balance to ensure that your pup is getting everything he needs, including the correct amount of proteins and vitamins and minerals.
- Made in the USA from whole food ingredients
- The primary protein source is Salmon
- Proprietary probiotic blend to help with digestion and nutrient absorption
- Nutritional balance of vitamins and minerals
- Limited ingredients for minimalistic pet food
- Dogs love it! It’s made with minimal ingredients, so it’s perfect for dogs with sensitivities.
- Customers report that their pup has firmer stools and an improved outlook on life.
- It includes probiotics to keep your dog healthy and happy.
- It’s quite expensive.
- Some dogs don’t like the smell of it.
What Causes Sensitive Stomachs in Dogs?
Sensitive stomachs happen when your dog’s stomach cannot process certain foods. This can be caused by an intolerance to a certain food, food allergies, or a foreign object in the stomach.
Some common symptoms of a sensitive stomach include vomiting, diarrhea, and excessive gas. The vet will run tests to find out what is causing the sensitivity and will recommend dietary changes or medication as necessary.
The most common causes for sensitive stomachs in dogs are dietary intolerances and allergies. A foreign object in the stomach can also cause this condition but is less common. If your dog has been vomiting or has diarrhea they should see a vet before giving them any type of food as they may need emergency treatment.
Dogs are living creatures and they get sick just like humans do. Older dogs are more likely to have a sensitive stomach because their immune systems become weaker as they age. Stress, parasites, poor diet, and other medical conditions are also potential reasons for a dog’s sensitive stomach.
Signs and Symptoms of Sensitive Stomach in Dogs
Symptoms of a sensitive stomach in dogs can range from vomiting to diarrhea. Some symptoms of a sensitive stomach include excessive gas, excessive drooling, refusal to eat and drink water.
Some of the most common causes for a sensitive stomach in dogs are: dietary changes, eating too quickly or gulping down water too fast, consuming yeast-based foods such as bread or cheese, eating fatty food, and drinking too much milk at once.
A sensitive stomach can be an issue for a dog if they have chronic diarrhea or constipation. These can be signs of a sensitive stomach.
Eliminate Extra Food Items
Dogs are typically meat eaters, so it is not necessary to add a lot of extra ingredients and carbs to their food. The best thing to do is to use natural ingredients like chicken, beef or lamb as opposed to sugars and grains.
Some people believe that you should take the dog’s food out of the container and mix it with water before giving it to them. Others believe that you should put small pieces of moist dog food in front of your dog, wait for them to eat it, then give them more from the container.
If you have a small dog or puppy, they could be eating up to 4 cups of dry food per day. For larger dogs, this number could be closer to 3 cups per day.
One issue with some dog food is that they contain things like corn and wheat which aren’t appropriate for dogs. These ingredients can cause stomach upset, weight gain, and even allergies in dogs. To avoid these issues, many companies have cut out these items from their ingredients list to make their products healthier for both you and your pet.
Ingredients in Dog Food that Cause Upset Stomachs in Dogs
There are a number of ingredients in dog food that can cause stomach upset in dogs. These include:
- Caramel color
- Propylene glycol
- Corn syrup
- Artificial flavorings and preservatives
- Wheat gluten.
Some of the most common ingredients in dog food that can cause upset stomachs in dogs are corn, wheat, soybean meal, chicken by-products and artificial colors.
Is Dog Food Formulated for Dogs With Sensitive Stomachs Healthy for My Pet?
Sensitive stomachs are caused by the inability of the intestines to break down certain types of food. Dogs with sensitive stomachs are often allergic to one or more types of protein, such as beef, chicken, lamb, or wheat. In order to avoid causing an allergic reaction, it is important that the pet is fed a diet that consists of ingredients that they are not allergic to.
In general, it is healthy for pet owners to feed their pets dog food formulated for dogs with sensitive stomachs because this type of food is designed specifically for pets who struggle with an upset stomach. Dog foods formulated for dogs with sensitive stomachs usually contain probiotics and digestive enzymes which help the pet digest his meal without discomfort.