Dogs can be notoriously picky eaters, but that doesn’t mean they have to miss out on all the best tasting food. There are a number of dog foods on the market that are both delicious and nutritious.
Why Are Some Dogs Picky Eaters?
There are many factors that can affect a dog’s eating habits. For example, the size of food can affect a dog’s appetite and what they prefer to eat. Frequency of feeding can also have some effect on their dietary preferences, as well as the type of food. Some dogs may also avoid certain foods because they are too thirsty or have a bad tooth.
Most dogs will not refuse to eat food; instead, they will just require an appropriate approach to get them to eat it. Veterinarians recommend making sure that you understand your dog’s eating habits and offer that specific type of food in a variety of ways until they find something that they do like enough to eat it regularly.
There are many reasons why a dog may be picky with food. One of the most common reasons is because the food was originally intended for another kind of pet. There are other reasons like the taste, texture, or smell of the food that may be causing a dog to refuse it.
Some dogs are picky eaters because they have allergies that make it hard for them to digest certain types of foods. They may have an allergy to wheat, so they can’t eat bread or pasta for example. Other dogs might have something called “food aversion” which makes them dislike certain foods in general, regardless of what they are allergic to.
When Does Picky Eating Become a Problem in dogs?
There are a number of things that can cause picky eating in dogs. It could be anything from a lack of hunger to an underlying health issue.
Some physical reasons that may be causing your dog’s picky eating include:
- A metabolic problem with the liver or pancreas
- A disease affecting the brain, such as canine epilepsy
- Sensitivity to certain foods or ingredients
What Kind of Dog Food Should You Feed a Picky Dog?
There are many different factors that can cause a dog to be picky about food. These factors may include the type and flavor of food, how hungry the dog is, how much exercise the dog has had, and more.
The best way to find out what type of food your dog likes is by trying out different kinds of foods until you find one your dog will eat. You can try switching up protein sources or brands. You may also want to try feeding them two smaller meals a day instead of one larger meal for their stomachs’ sake.
When it comes to food, dogs are picky creatures. They refuse the foods that they don’t like and prefer to have their favorite food.
There are a few things that you can do when your dog refuses to eat:
- Offer new kinds of food every week.
- Try different textures and flavors of dog food.
- Give your dog only at least one meal a day if he doesn’t like his food.
Best Dog Food for Picky Eaters
Here are five of the best tasting dog foods for picky eaters.
Our pets are a reflection of us. One of the ways we see this is in our choice of food. The choices that we make for our pets show how much affection and care we have for them. For some, the choice of food goes even further than that – it’s an opportunity to impose their control over an animal and to assert their own sense of identity or taste preferences on the animal. Below we have some of the dog food for picky eaters.
1. Wellness Core Natural Grain Free Bowl Boosters Tender Dog Food
Introducing a healthier way to keep your pup happy and full! Wellness Core’s new Grain Free Bowl Boosters are the perfect way to enhance your dog’s current food bowl. These all-natural, delicious and nutritious treats are made with real meat and poultry as the number one ingredient and are grain free, ensuring that even the most sensitive pup can enjoy them. With a variety of flavors to choose from, there’s sure to be one your dog will love.
Grain Free Bowl Boosters are a great way to help maintain your dog’s weight and health. They contain real meat and poultry, all natural ingredients and come in a variety of flavors.
- Made with real meat and poultry as the number one ingredient
- Grain free for sensitive dogs
- Made in the USA
- 80% meat and 20% poultry
- Ingredients: Chicken, chicken meal, egg product, potassium chloride, brewers rice, herring meal, flaxseed meal, dried beet pulp, natural chicken flavor (source of choline), salt.
2. Royal Canin Digestive Care Canned Dog Food
Do you have a picky eater on your hands? Chances are, you’ve tried every food out there and nothing seems to work. The good news is, there’s help. Royal Canin has a line of canned dog foods specifically designed to help with digestive problems.
The Digestive Care line comes in four different varieties: Low Fat, Moderate Calorie, Sensitive Stomach, and High Energy. Each one is packed with nutrients that will help your pup feel better fast. Plus, they’re all grain-free and made with real meat as the first ingredient.
So if your dog is struggling with diarrhea, vomiting, or just plain old indigestion, give Royal Canin a try. Your furry friend will be glad you did!
- We have all the ingredients for your convenience, fresh and never-frozen.
- There are now pre-portioned sizes, which eliminate the guesswork.
- It offers canine nutrition advice and one on one consultations to help you give your dog the food and care it needs.
- Developed by nutritionists, prepared by chefs
3. Stella & Chewy Freeze Dried Mix-Ins
If your dog is having trouble getting enough variety in his or her diet, adding Stella & Chewy’s into the mix can be a game-changer. Add to the kibble for that extra bit of flavor and see the immediate payoff of healthier meals today. The Stella & Chewy Mix-Ins are popular and reportedly very tasty for dogs, much adored by even known picky eaters.
These added ingredients like beef heart, kidney, and tripe make perfect sense – they’re delicious! It’s not just meat either; these treats have organic dog food ingredients like fruits and veggies that provide an excellent nutritional balance.
If you’re concerned that your dog doesn’t enjoy their food, try adding some of these ingredients. They’ll still be eating the same kibble, but will also get the benefits of the mix-ins.
- Beef, beef liver, beef kidney, heart, and tripe are the first ingredients in this recipe.
- It comes with a Grain-free formula
- Antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables like spinach, beets, broccoli, apples & blueberries are great to include in your diet.
4. Instinct Raw Boost Small Breed Duck
Introducing a new food to your dog can be a challenge. Some dogs are picky eaters and can be resistant to trying new foods. If your dog is one of those picky eaters, you might have to try a few different types of food before you find one that he or she likes.
There are many different types of dog food on the market, and it can be difficult to know which one is right for your pet. If your dog is a picky eater, you might want to try a raw boost small breed duck food. This type of food is made with real duck and other all-natural ingredients, and it is designed to appeal to dogs who are particular about their food.
The duck in this food will help your dog get the protein he or she needs, while the other natural ingredients will provide essential vitamins and minerals.
- Like its name would suggest, you will find duck and chicken to be the first 2 of the 3 natural ingredients. We promise there is no corn, soy or gluten in our products.
- Features high-protein kibble in meat-flavored varieties and freeze-dried raw pieces
- Fortified with probiotics for digestion and omega fatty acids for your dog’s skin and coat.
- Contains glucosamine and chondroitin-rich ingredients to help your dog maintain its joints.
- No grains, potatoes, corn, wheat, soy, by-product meal, artificial colors, or preservatives.
- It is Made in the USA.
5. Purina Pro Plan Savor Shredded Beef and Rice Formula
Purina Pro Plan products are designed to address a number of different common problems and their Savor Shredded Beef and Rice Formula seeks to tempt the palates of finicky four-footers.
We know your dog will love this recipe. For one thing, it includes shredded beef which is a texture that most dogs find irresistible. I have to admit, Purina dog food is nothing to write home about. It’s probably not the best option for your dog. This meal includes ingredients that some people might find questionable. If you’re looking for a budget-friendly food, then this might not be too bad an option. Picky eaters tend to enjoy these kinds of products.
- This mix contains beef as its main ingredient.
- Made with omega-3-rich ingredients for a shiny coat
- Daily use of our digestive probiotics is great for healthy digestion.
- The right protein-to-fat ratio is key in maintaining your dog’s fitness & figure. Optimal levels will help keep them healthy and fit.
In conclusion, there are a number of great dog foods on the market that are both healthy and delicious. If your dog is a picky eater, it may take some experimentation to find the food that he or she loves the most. But with so many options available, there’s definitely something out there for everyone. So don’t be afraid to try a few different brands until you find the perfect one. Your dog will thank you for it!